Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day 2011

I  don't ever remember not wanting to be  a mother; I always knew I wanted to have children. I was, however, not prepared emotionally for what happened when I did become a mother: I became overwhelmed and flooded with memories of my own broken, difficult childhood. I had so many doubts: how could I raise a family without having had a model of a "normal family" to follow? How could I overcome a life of poverty, mental illness and constant struggles to make a peaceful happy home for my own family? I quickly realized, I could not, but God could! I prayed so much and still do, and of course, God began to put amazing mothers into my life, to lead me, guide me & "model" for me. Myy oldest sister, Julie, who died in September 2006, and I shared being pregnant with our daughters, they were actually born 5 days apart. We shared our symptoms, she talked almost daily about our pregnancy, then, of course our baby girls. We didn't even change formulas without talking. It was the kind of closeness that you only get to experience rarely, but the warmth stays with you for a life time. I miss Julie and I cherish those days and credit much of her support for helping me transistion to motherhood....and here they are together when they were so young!

 Jeannie, my sister that is 19 months older than me is an important mother in my life. She struggled with not being able to become pregnant, as the other sisters were having babies. She rejoiced each time with us, I know it had to be painful to her, but she still rejoiced with our good news. Then, God blessed her and Jerry with 2 beautiful children through adoption. My heart overflowed with joy for them! and Jeannie & I have shared such a bond as mothers together raising our children....

 The cousins are all so close & make our lives so full......

My sister Cathy, with whom I went through all of my pregnancies with, because we both have 2 boys and a girl and our children are so close in age. We have kept in constant touch raising our families & making sure our children have plenty of time to spend together, even "swapping kids" in the summers. And Adele, my sister in law and I have been close. She is an amazing mother to her 3 and I have learned so much from her.
of course, and so importantly, my own mom, who despite the most difficult, poverty strickand situation, remained strong and did everything she could to teach us about God, life, family.....
And  then God blessed me again, with Gayle, my mother in law who is really like a "mom" to me. She has taught me to be patient, and to try to see the best in everyone. It is amazing how when we put down our burdens and let God pick them up for us, He does more than we could ask for, more than we expected. I am not even close to being a perfect mother, but I know God is leading me every step of the way & I have found complete joy in motherhood. To all the mothers who have mentored me, thank you, to those who need mentoring, ASK and God will put wonderful people in your path, for those who have lost children or lost their mothers, my deepest sympathy, and to all.....be thankful for this day!
Joanne

1 comment:

Chelsea Gour said...

Wonderful post and beautiful tribute to your amazing family! I know you had a rough start, but from my point of view, you have always been a GREAT mother. And, I have learned from you!