Saturday, October 23, 2010

Confessions, doubts, parenting......
















This is a post where I admit, I am a mother who many times has doubts about raising children. I am really pretty old fashioned in my beliefs that kids need lots and lots of unstructured play. I think its ok to be bored, gives them time to think, create, imagine. We have had a lot of play time since we moved into our new home. The yard just SCREAMS to come out and PLAY!! But, our generation SCREAMS of structured play, sports teams, play groups, ect....so I admit, I feel that nagging feeling some days that am I causing my children to miss out? should they be in more sports, or lessons? am I giving them enough opportunities to develop their talents? I don't know the answer. I'm not sure if we are doing this right or not.....Sure they have played on countless sports teams, they each still do extracurricular activities, but we have suddenly slowed down and are home playing a lot.
So, as I think about the "free play", I realize that Michael figured out how to make a rope swing, learned how to catch blue craps and boil them, he can climb a tree, kyak, and build a great fire in the pit on the patio. Matt has learned to fish, drive a boat, fix up an old john boat, repair a dock... Morgan now has her first job, drives Michael back and forth to school, is not afraid to get dirty in the pluff mud, has painted and decorated her attic rooms, removed wallpaper from her bathroom.
So, in writing these accomplishments and seeing the growth, I think there is no right or wrong way. Parenting can be structured, it can be a little unstructured, it can be a little of both....I think we all have doubts, but when our hearts are in it and we are doing the best we can, God will fill in the blanks for us. I know He is with me everyday helping me raise His children. Every child is different and unique, mine seem to thrive on some structured activities and lots and lots of play time.
Enjoy your weekend, and your children,
Jo



1 comment:

Chelsea Gour said...

Okay, I don't know how I missed all these great posts, but I just got caught up! I had to read all the way down to Labor Day! You are a great mom to a great threesome. They are smart, creative, caring and thoughtful and that says a lot about your parenting! These are great posts with amazing pictures and I enjoyed them very much. A little more prayer time is good for everyone!